Sunday 26 October 2014

Kids Clothes Week: Mama Jumbo dress

For this dress I took my inspiration from a South African children's book, Zanzibar Road by Niki Daly. In this story, Mama Jumbo arrives in Zanzibar Road carrying all her possessions in a basket on her head, then builds herself a township-style home out of corrugated iron and bits of wood. Throughout the book she wears a series of wax-print dresses - not at all South African, but then, she is an immigrant... And since I adore colourful African fabrics - kangas are my favourite - I decided to make a 'Mama Jumbo' dress for R.



I used pattern M from Girly Style Wardrobe, but turned the facings to the outside to make a blue border around the neckline and added matching pockets with a blue band at the top. The fabric, amazingly, is not actually African - I bought it at Darn Cheap about a year ago and although it's clearly a wax-print-style design, it has a very shiny quality more like sateen. I'm so happy with the result, and I think the style and colours look just beautiful on R.

The KCW website is full of amazing things ranging from the practical to the incredible, so it looks like everyone's been extra-productive this season. As for me I have just one item left to finish up and - hopefully - photograph today. Bye for now!

11 comments:

  1. She looks stunning in this. Great inspiration too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, that fabric was just waiting for the right occasion and I'm so glad I found it!

      Delete
  2. Really nice dress Marisa! Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice dress Marisa, love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! Great idea to turn the facing to the outside - it really is a beautiful contrast with the main fabric print. Looks so beautiful on her:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucinda, the original pattern has lace (I think) around the neckine but I really prefer the contrast.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely dress! I just love the fabric you used. The simple style looks so cool and comfortable for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This fabric works beautifully with the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenya, funny how a Japanese pattern makes such a perfect African dress!

      Delete