Sunday 26 October 2014

Kids Clothes Week: 'Dancing Men' singlet


In my post on how to sew with words on the Kids Clothes Week blog I wrote about using freezer paper stencils to paint a word in Dancing Men code, which features in a Sherlock Holmes story. The freezer paper worked brilliantly, but I decided to use a different (coded) phrase on a singlet for K and, having run out of time today to painstakingly cut out a freezer paper stencil, went for the quick option and printed an iron-on transfer. Somehow the transfer looks much more plasticky on this top than it did on the Pierre top, so I'm not 100% happy with it. Another weird thing is that this singlet, though drafted in an identical way to the previous one, does not fit as well around the chest. I guess I can put that down to fabrics behaving in different ways - unless, of course, K has shrunk overnight...?

By the way, if you're wondering what the coded phrase is, I'm afraid I can't tell you because I want K to read the story and work it out for himself!

K was more than happy to get outside and model today as we had basically chained him to his computer and forced him to complete a school project. Well, that's what you get for leaving things til the last minute.

And that brings my Kids Clothes Week sewing to an end, and while it's been fun, I'm more than ready for a break! Did you manage to finish everything you wanted to sew?




4 comments:

  1. Love those dancing men. I took part for the first time this year and I have one finished dress (on the blog) and two very nearly there just a few little details to finish. Guess I need to speed up for next season. Well done again All your KCW makes are fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I think the only way to get heaps done during KCW is to prep it all beforehand - but I didn't have time to do that this time, except for the dress.

      Delete
  2. Oh he's better read the story quick coz I want to know what his tee says!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might have to read it yourself! It's a good one.

      Delete