Sunday 5 June 2016

A sweet winter jacket for R

The weather has taken a turn for the chillier here, and as R has pretty much grown out of her old jacket, a new one had to be made quickly. This is pattern W from Sweet Clothes for Girls (you can see the same jacket on the back of the book, shown above), modified to include lining and in-seam pockets. I used a wool blend from Kim Anh fabrics and some long-hoarded cotton for the lining.

The jacket pattern is fairly straightforward, with patch pockets (I left those off), facings and a lined hood. Although I've added lining to unlined patterns before, I always find the process quite mind-bending. How do I incorporate the facings? When I sew the lining and outer together, which bits have to be left open so I can turn it right-side-out successfully? How does that magic sleeve-sewing technique - where you sew the outer sleeve hem to the lining sleeve hem - work again? (there's a summary here if you want to know, although I did mine a little differently). Somehow I muddled my way through and it all worked out. I even added a little 'secret pocket' to the inside of the jacket and remembered to include a fabric loop below the hood so the jacket can be hung on a hook if required (although I can't imagine when this might be). Five big red buttons add a bit of colour and are nice and easy to do up and undo.

You can see from R's expression that she was a bit fed up with modelling by the time I took that last photo of her with the hood on!

I'm pleased with how this one worked out, although I might opt for a pattern that includes lining instructions next time, in the interests of my mental health. And as this jacket is a perfect fit - that is to say, it doesn't have loads of growing room - I will probably be doing exactly that come next winter.


10 comments:

  1. It's lovely, worth the struggle working out how to line it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This jacket is so beautiful. A job well done for inserting the lining. I think I came across that tutorial a long while ago and still haven't had the courage to take the plunge. I'll be waiting for Japanese sewing books to write a book titled "jackets with linings".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that would be a very useful book, wouldn't it!

      Delete
  3. Ah, I finally got to sit down to read about this beautiful jacket. I think it was absolutely worth it to line the jacket. The lining compliments the outer layer so nicely, and the buttons add just the right amount of colour. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely jacket! I really like the wool you chose for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla. It took me ages to choose the fabric and I was worried my daughter would find it a bit boring, but luckily she seems to like it :)

      Delete
  5. This jacket is SO perfect. I absolutely LOVE it!!! Thanks again for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely jacket! The fabrics are perfect and I always prefer to do a full lining too. Even though it is a bit more work!

    ReplyDelete