Sunday 15 March 2015

Twirly girl

Poor R has so many clothes, but nothing to wear to dance class. Until a few months ago she wore her beloved pompom tutu but it got torn, and the waiting time for repairs in this household rivals the elective surgery list in Victorian public hospitals - I'm somewhat lazy when it comes to mending. R needed something twirly, something that wouldn't get too crumpled in her dance bag, and that wouldn't take me long to sew (because I have too many other projects on the go and wasn't especially enthusiastic about this one).

Well, if I'd known that circle skirts were so quick to make I would have whipped one up a lot sooner. I used Dana's tutorial and it is very easy to follow. With just a bit of basic mathematics, no side seams and - if you use slinky synthetic stuff like I did - no hemming, it's the quickest skirt around. You don't even need to make an elastic casing, because the waist is just a nice wide piece of elastic that you sew the fabric straight on to. Go ahead and do horrid crooked sewing with lots of thread snarls like I did; it will still look great.



Check out the twirl on this one! Now that I know how little time circle skirts take to make, R can have them in as many colours and patterns as she likes.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great for dancing in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll test it out at dance class this Wednesday :)

      Delete
  2. I completely agree re mending. I could become a circle skirt convert too, certainly looks perfect for dance class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, who wants to waste valuable sewing time on mending things?!

      Delete