Thursday, 20 September 2012

A new market skirt


A few years ago I made R a skirt using the market skirt tutorial from Made. With pinstriped red seersucker and white waistband and ruffle, it had a lovely bounce to it and looked gorgeous on her. 


An advantage of R being very skinny is that things fit her for years and years - they just get shorter. We got plenty of wear out of that skirt, but last summer I reluctantly had to admit it was getting a little too short. Time for a new one! 


I don't know why it took me so long to make another market skirt - it really is one of my all-time favourite skirt patterns. Even better, it's not really a pattern, just a tutorial involving rectangular strips of fabric (except for the pocket which is a little more complex). Plus it's free! Unimaginatively, I used the same Spotlight seersucker I used recently for R's bubble dress, but in a different (green) colourway. The only change I made was to put hidden press-studs for pocket closure and stitch the buttons on top just as an embellishment - dealing with buttons and buttonholes on a skirt pocket is a bit irritating for young wearers, I think. Press-studs are a little easier, but still not ideal (as I discovered today) - I may yet replace them with a little bit of velcro. 

So here's the new market skirt, ready for a few years of wearing. 



 


No comments:

Post a comment