Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Barcelona skirt

I make a lot of children's clothes, but it's not often that I sew for myself - partly because kids' clothes are faster to make and use less fabric, and partly because everything looks fantastic on them and (relatively) not so fantastic on me. But things being a bit desperate clothes-wise, I decided it was time to try out Amy Butler's 'Barcelona skirt' pattern that has been sitting on my sewing table for far too long. 

As something of a trial run, I first made the layered version in black linen with black muslin lining (unphotographed as yet). This was my first time using an invisible zipper and invisible zipper foot. Well - I am converted. The foot is surprisingly easy to use, and the zip is truly invisible from the outside of the skirt. Very impressive. The skirt is a good fit and is comfortable to wear. Time will tell whether the fraying layers drive me crazy with their loose threads, but so far I like them.


Excuse the unironed state of this skirt. Front...
...and back.

Having judged the linen skirt to be successful, I felt brave enough to cut up my two yards of Nani Iro double gauze (which, like the pattern and the zipper foot, has been gathering dust for a long, long time). For this skirt I used the simple A-line pattern and extended it by 15cm at the bottom to make it ankle-length. It was quick to sew up and I'm very happy with it - the fabric is just so beautiful. I'm sure I'll be making myself another of these before too long. But (sadly) not in Nani Iro.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, LethargicLass. ANYTHING is good in Nani Iro!

      Delete