Wednesday 2 July 2014

Spotty skirts




Two skirts from Sweet Clothes for Girls, both of them style O in babywale corduroy. I made size 110 with 120 length for R, and size 100 for her sweet little cousin M. (If the grey one looks familiar, it's because it's made from the fabric left over from my everyday skirt. Waste not, want not!).

As it's school holidays I'm on the lookout for mundane tasks that can be re-badged as 'fun activities', so I hired my ten-year-old son K to direct a photo-shoot featuring R's new corduroy skirt (cost: one packet of loom bands, plus some loom-band charms for the model). At first this seemed a great idea - R was instantly smiling and animated, and K had lots of ideas about what she should do. Then a couple of our neighbours' children came out to watch, K started to get a bit silly, and the whole thing descended into fits of giggles and attempts to dodge the camera.


But hey, it killed a good hour of the day once you factor in the getting dressed part, the actual shoot, a bit of bickering and some running round the garden afterwards.

I love the line of this skirt and the nice big pockets. It's also very easy to sew, provided you've been good and laid out the pattern pieces for cutting exactly according to the grain lines - the pocket pieces are set at odd angles and if you used a patterned fabric and failed to notice this, your skirt might end up looking a little strange where the pocket meets the side panel. Don't say I didn't warn you!


Ah, school holidays. Don't you love 'em?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the note about grainlines. I always follow with main pattern pieces but sometimes things like pockets can get overlooked. Great looking skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! I often ignore grainlines but in this case I realised (fortunately, before cutting!) that they were important.

      Delete
  2. Hey at least it wasn't raining!
    the skirts look lovely, seems a really nice pattern. I might need this book after all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it wasn't raining. I was all prepared for a wintry photoshoot, picturing R in her gumboots holding an umbrella... and of course the sun came out!

      Delete
  3. The pockets are very cool! I think I need to add spotty skirts to my sewing wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big pockets are the best! R always complains when I make her anything without pockets.

      Delete