Friday 14 March 2014

Twin needles and two tops


Last week I tried a twin needle for the first time and I'm a convert. This thing is fantastic for finishing hems and sleeves - you get the lovely double row of stitching plus a zigzag stitch on the reverse side which allows for stretch.

I used my new needle(s) for the sleeves of an envelope-neck t-shirt, which I made in cotton jersey using pattern M-3 in size 110 from Children's Clothes Lesson Book. For the neck edging and the contrast band at the bottom (not in the pattern) I used another cotton jersey from the same range. It is a loose fit on R but I'm happy with the sizing and wouldn't change it.

I bought the same fabric in another colour to make a beachy boatneck with three-quarter sleeves. I made a slightly lengthened size 4 (R is nearly 6 but has a narrow chest) and it's a beautiful fit. I used scraps from the first t-shirt to make the facing, and was very happy to be able to use my twin needle to overstitch the neckline and to finish the hem and sleeves.


R was a bit of a reluctant model today. She has just started her first year of school and by Friday afternoon she is stressed and exhausted, ready to have a meltdown at the drop of a hat (luckily my son has spent all his spare time for the past week hunched over a desk making rainbow loom bracelets, so at least I've only really had one child to deal with). For my ill-timed photo shoot she adopted a range of unhappy expressions ranging from sulky through to exasperated - until I asked her to smooth her skirt down so I didn't wind up with a photo of her undies, which she found so hilarious she couldn't stop laughing.



I love the curved hemline of the beachy boatneck, and I also adore the colour of this fabric (I think they call it 'latte'). I'm feeling inspired to sew lots more stretchy tops and t-shirts, but it's hard to find attractive knit fabrics in natural fibres. Is there some secret shop in Melbourne I should know about? Or will I have to go international and order a year's worth of knits from Girl Charlee?

9 comments:

  1. Lovely! Love your colour choices as always. And that smile in the third photo is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asmita. I thought R might object to my colour choices but luckily she didn't complain :)

      Delete
  2. I love my twin needle too! (and not yet used a serger :( ) These fabrics look so good and super cute on R!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shino. I haven't tried a serger either. Maybe one day...

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the twin needle club!
    I love my overlooked for knit sewing it's just so fast!
    I've been eyeing that exact knit in Spotlight, I love the colours.
    For knit fabrics: Brunswick fabrics on Sydney Rd. Everything seems to be always $3/metre.
    Rathdowne remnants is great for knits and then The Fabric Store if you want something a bit more special.
    You've got me inspired to crack the Japanese books again. Great sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I can see I'm going to have to make a trip to the other side of town sometime. I love that big Italian food wholesalers place in Sydney Rd, so maybe I can combine fabric and food shopping...

      Delete
    2. Ha. I cross town to go to a butcher in Northcote who makes the best meatballs. I always seem to do some fabric shopping while I'm over there.

      Delete
    3. Oh time to visit Melb hey ;) The tops are wonderful :) Glad R finally got to smile :)

      Delete
  4. wow, i love these so much! and isn't the double needle the best?!

    ReplyDelete