Wednesday 23 August 2017

A silver skirt

In my last post about the Burdastyle miniskirt I mentioned that the pattern is actually for a metallic imitation leather skirt. Spotting a roll of silver stuff in Spotlight recently, I thought I'd try version 3 of this pattern with the fabric it was intended for. And I'm rather pleased with the result.
Sewing this skirt was not the most pleasant experience, due to the tendency of the fabric to stick under the presser foot and the necessity to avoid using pins (which make holes that remain visible after sewing). Sewing with the wrong side up helped the fabric to move under the foot smoothly, but I found that wonder clips left indentations on the fabric and washi tape was less than ideal for holding things together. Still, I muddled my way through and managed to assemble the various pieces, even doing a bit of double-stitching on the front pockets and hem.



I modified the pattern in the same way I had done for version 1: I sewed buttonholes at the sides of the inside waistand, then threaded buttonhole elastic through the back part of the skirt for a better fit. The fabric is surprisingly soft and comfy on the inside due to cotton backing, and the fit is really quite nice. R's eyes widened with excitement when she saw the silver skirt, and she insisted on wearing it into town today. I thought she had quite a 60s vibe in her mini and black top and leggings!

Sadly, modelling was cut short when R realised she'd left her new water bottle at the Japanese place where we'd had lunch, meaning we had to hike across town to get it. After that, things went downhill rapidly - her feet were sore, she was tired, she didn't want to be photographed etc etc. Still, the skirt is a huge success and I know she'll wear it often!

8 comments:

  1. So cool! It looks great with the black tights and boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Masha. I was so pleased when she wore it again today - definitely a hit :)

      Delete
  2. I think her styling is spot on! She looks very cute and hip in her outfit. Great job sewing with that imitation leather, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emi. Sewing with this stuff isn't something I'd care to do often, but it did give a nice result! I have no idea how it's supposed to be washed, though...

      Delete
  3. It's very cool and I feel your pain 100% on the sewing of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating stuff! I don't know how you managed to sew that coat with sanity intact - anything more complex than this skirt would have killed me!

      Delete
  4. A shiny skirt - every girl's dresm! Who cares how much trouble mum went into m aking it - it is an awesome shiny skirt hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is shiny - it's going to be blinding when we finally get some sunshine!

      Delete