Saturday 26 April 2014

Cosy kids


You know winter's coming when the fabric stores haul out the flannelette. In between Spotlight's usual offerings of camouflage pattern for boys and fairy princess for girls I found a cute whale pattern, and while whales aren't an animal I associate with cosiness (the insulating properties of blubber aside) I decided they would be good for K's winter PJ pants. Since R's nighties are likely to fit her for years I splashed out on some Anna Maria Horner flannel, which is incredibly soft and lovely.

K's pants are drafted from a pair of his tracksuit pants, with the addition of a ribbed waistband for comfort and some cuffs for possible length-extension. Good thing I reinforced the crotch seams...


R's nightie is based on pattern J from Girly Style Wardrobe, with the placket moved round to the front and a ruffle added to the bottom of the skirt (I had to be creative when it came to making the nightie long enough, as I was a little short of fabric). I love this style on her - so much so that I've already started making a dress from the same pattern. And as it is now customary for one of R's toys to receive a garment whenever she does, 'Daisy' has a new Lazy Days skirt



I had this great idea to photograph K and R in their sleepwear together, but in almost every one of the 100+ photos I took, someone is making a silly face or doing something bizarre. Still, they enjoyed it. And at least it was ten minutes of the day when they weren't fighting.





Now my wild ones will be warm at night, although K might need to put a top on...

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that nightgown is just stunning! I love that fabric! I miss having it in my stash. And those pants are super cute and cozy looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. Yes the fabric is divine and sadly I've now used up every scrap - the toy dog got the very last bit :)

      Delete
  2. Surely that nightie is too nice to just wear to bed? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it happens, it's had a lot of wear during the day this weekend :)

      Delete
  3. They are perfect! I wish I could sew from a Japanese pattern. And your kids are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I'm sure you could sew from Japanese patterns! And there are a few books available in English as well - if you start with those you will quickly get the general idea of how they work. I quite enjoy puzzling out how things are meant to be made, although occasionally I have no clue what I'm meant to be doing and just have to come up with my own method...

      Delete
  4. R looks so cute in that nightie! And they sure are so cute. I have a big bro so those photos reminds my childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shino! I hope you didn't fight constantly with your brother the way R does... she might loook cute but she just loves to provoke him!

      Delete
  5. beautiful pj's!
    I just discovered your blog and love all what you sew!

    greetings from México!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you RosaMaria! My dream is to go to Mexico one day - it sounds amazing.

      Delete